Sofia is the capital of Bulgarian and is a city with more than 2000 years of history, lots of churches, museums, art galleries, shopping malls, designer boutiques, small craft shops, excellent dining and entertainment options, concerts, opera and artistic performances, as well as vibrant nightlife.
For those of you who want to explore more of what our capital city can offer, here are some of our recommendations:
Free Walking Tour of Sofia – in English
The tour is organized by an independent NGO, Free Sofia Tour, and is approved by Sofia City Municipality.
- Date: Organized every day, Monday through Sunday, at 11 am and 6 pm
- Language: English
- Starting point: in front of the Palace of Justice, at the corner of Vitosha Blvd. and Alabin Street
- Duration: about 2 hours
- Price: Free of charge (tips for guides are discretionary and very welcome)
No reservations required for individual tourists (if you are a group of 10+ people, please call the organizers at least 24 hours in advance to book a private tour)
For more details, please visit the website of Free Sofia Tour.
Please note that this tour is organized by an independent service provider, every participant will join the tour at their own will and time. The Symposium organizers are not liable for the quality of service or any changes or cancellations.
Visit of Boyana Church, the National Museum of History and lunch at a typical Bulgarian restaurant
- Date and time: Friday morning, 16th November 2018
- Transportation: by organized bus
- Language: English
- Starting point: TBD depending on the number of participants and their place of accommodation
- Duration: about 5 hours
- Price: 35 EUR (includes transportation, entrance fee for Boyana Chirch and NMH, lunch and tour guide in English)
Boyana Church “St. Nicholas and St. Panteleimon” is one of the few preserved monuments of the Orthodox medieval art and is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. In the church there are frescoes from different periods, the most valuable dating back to 1259 and reflecting the achievements of Bulgarian medieval art. More than 240 images depicted in different periods between the 10th and 19th centuries can be seen in the church.
The National Museum of History preserves over 650,000 cultural monuments, unique historical and archeological exhibits of different ages representing the Bulgarian historical and cultural heritage.
Lunch at a traditional Bulgarian restaurant – traditional Bulgarian dishes, served in a typical Bulgarian way and combined with exquisite Bulgarian wines and grape brandy (rakia).
Dinner at a traditional Bulgarian Restaurant “Chevermeto”
Traditional and homestyle Bulgarian dishes, fresh salads, exquisite wines and drinks.
- Date and time: Friday 16th November 2018, 20.00
- Price: 40 EUR (includes a set menu dinner, drinks are not included)
Networking Dinner for Participants in the Symposium
Official dinner and networking opportunities for the participants in the Symposium
- Date and time: Saturday, 17th November 2018, 20.00
- Price: 45 EUR (includes a set menu dinner)